Monday, August 31, 2009

Another Good One Taken Away!

In this all too familiar tone I say , we lost another good man today, no not in the middle east or in the streets of L.A. But right here in my home town of Oxnard, Ca. I kind of made me sick to my stomach to get the text from my wife saying she read where Former 84 Bronze medalist shot Putter Dave Laut was shot and killed in his own home by intruders. As it turned out he was kind of ambushed while checking out noise coming from his backyard after the dogs were barking incessantly, he went out to check it out and after saying the words"What the Hell are you doing here" he was shot 3 times in the head and killed, not even a chance to be rushed to local hospital to be revived. So here we have a local legend, a family man and a great influence to young and old alike taken from the family ,Friends and associated who remembered him as a gentle giant and a peaceful man , always helping out others and always trying to be that positive in others' lives. He was a teacher, a coach and the Athletic director at one of our areas worst schools, Hueneme H.S and was working on helping athletes get physicals at the school so they could participate in Football for their school. Well later that night he was gunned down and will never be that influence of positivity that he had always bee. I remember as a 21 year old watching the LA olympics in 84 and feeling a sense of pride in Dave as this Oxnard boy was representing his country and himself on our behalf, and proudly so, he accomplished a Bronze medal in the shot Putt. It really pains me to think that his wife and child, his parents and friends will be without the gentle giant who died so violently ,so quickly, and never had a chance to say goodbye to anybody. I feel for his wife and his young child who now are left with that huge void he always filled and now it appears empty and silent. How does a person move on from this , this senseless , needless taking away from somebody who was so good, all taken away by somebody who had nothing and will never have anything but the blood of a good man on his hands. I only hope that they find the person who did this and can make an example out of him and show the rest what happens when you take away somebody who gave so much to so many and now is gone. As I said this really hurt me and made me think that we as a society are not safe, not even in the good neighborhood which Dave lived in, but we are all targets and all have to be ready for that day when we might hear the dogs barking and hear that noise coming from outside. what will we do, how will we approach this? I can only say I have lived this scenario in my mind too many times and am thankful that i have 3 large Dogs who can give me the warning I need with their barking and running about, but is this something I should pursue or just make the call and wait for a police response. I can only say that to protect family and self I am locked and loaded and will use whatever force needed to do so, but the saddest thing about that scenario is that is not how I live , not what i believe in and not how I want to live my life thinking that there is somebody out there who is trying to harm me and my family!Since I've already established that there is no God to protect us, I guess we must do it ourselves and be stronger than the scum and be smarter than the dumbasses who want to take our precious lives from us all. I am sorry that Dave Laut is gone and sorry that his family feels the sadness that they feel, but i think in his tragic death we learn a lesson, not everyone lives under the same rules that we do and to fight against a dirty fighter , you have to do the same just to compete. Well that is a fight I am not losing so i continue to arm myself against this even going as far as teaching the wife how to lock and load in case it happens when I'm not around, this is so sad but the reality of what this place has become, survival of the most prepared I hate to say, but it could be the old west all over again. i hate feeling like this but won't allow anybody to hurt those i love

No comments:

Post a Comment